skip to main content

E-mail Us

Please e-mail us using this form, or you can use this e-mail address: to send e-mail using your own e-mail program.

Your Name:

Your E-mail:



Leave this empty!!! If you see it

Note: All fields on this form are required.

Frequently Asked Questions

Absences/Late Arrival

Punctuality and attendance by the instructor are expected, but sometimes emergencies or illnesses do occur.

What do I do if I’m going to be late to class or if I’m absent?

If you are going to be late to class, please call the faculty secretary and let them know when you will arrive and what your class should do. Every effort to contact and hold your class for you will be made. If you need to be absent, please call or email your department coordinator or failing that, the faculty secretary. Let this person know the class assignment and how long you anticipate you will be out. You may also wish to post a notice on ANGEL if you use that system.  When you return the building secretary has an Attendance Form for you to fill out. (See the negotiated contract for use of sick leave).

What do I do about classes outside normal 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. working hours?

Early start (7:00 am classes) instructors can call the Campus Security office, ext. 3218 if you will be late and/or absent. Please ask to have a sign posted on the classroom door indicating if you will be late or if the class is cancelled.


What procedures do I follow if I catch students cheating?

Highline College does not approve of cheating by students. But students’ rights are strongly protected by Student Services. Students should not be publicly embarrassed or falsely accused. Instructors need to confront cheating carefully to preserve the dignity of the accused student(s) so far as is possible. Instructors also need to identify and preserve the evidence if they are going to accuse a student of cheating. This may involve, for example, a quiet and firm collection of “cheat notes” during a test, along with the test. The student(s) should be instructed quietly to see you during your office hours. You should also contact your coordinator, or if unavailable, your division chair, for advice on how to proceed before you hold the discussion with the student in your office. There are legal issues involved that you need to be aware of ahead of time.

After all of the above, however, you are expected to prevent and stop cheating. You simply need to make sure the dignity of the student is protected, you have incontrovertible evidence, and you preserve the evidence. The above statement applies to test notes, plagiarism, or other allegations.

Past experience has shown that sometimes the evidence is still needed one or two years after the incident. If you have a case of cheating or plagiarism, please leave the evidence with a written description of the events and the consequences on file with the division chair. You should also keep a copy for your records.

One note of caution: Some students do not know what plagiarism is, so do add the topic in your course syllabi and take a minute to explain the concept to them at the beginning of the quarter.

Please see the Students Rights and Responsibilities web page.

Classrooms & Facilities

Who is responsible for maintaining classrooms and facilities in an orderly state?

Custodians clean the rooms in the evening, those of us who teach are expected to leave the classroom in an orderly state, which will allow the next instructor to use it without having to clean the boards or readjust the desks and chairs.

You may notice some of our classrooms automatically control lights depending on whether the room is occupied or not. But in most rooms please conserve energy and resources when possible (lights, paper, etc.).

Erase the board - leave space for other instruction don’t put SAVE on board material that requires being saved over several days.

Keep the classroom in standard order - returning tables and chairs to their original configuration at the end of class, if necessary.

At most off-campus sites the college is a guest of the host school and the continued use of the rooms depends upon the care we as students and teachers practice. Close windows, turn out lights, and shut the door when you leave.

What if the heaters are not working or there is other damage in the room?

Problems with heating, broken equipment, or damage to the room should be reported. See your division chair, coordinator, or contact Facilities at extension 3260 or submit a work order.

Confidentiality of Student Information

Are there special rules regarding student information?

Yes. The Family Educational Right to Privacy Act (FERPA) defines the student’s right to privacy and the conditions under which that information may be given out. Highline Community College’s is more restrictive than FERPA guidelines. The college guidelines, along with the FERPA regulations, are available on-line at If you are unable to access this web site, please ask your faculty secretary to print you a copy.

Information that identifies or relates to our students must be safeguarded as CONFIDENTIAL. Your class roster contains the name, HCC student identification number, telephone number and email address of students enrolled in your class. Such information is furnished for the personal use of the instructor.

DO NOT allow anyone to look at your class roster and do not discuss your student’s academic performance with anyone who does not have a need to know without written authorization from the student.

Do not post your class roster on bulletin boards.

REMEMBER - it is our obligation to protect the privacy of our students. Inquiries for information on our students should be referred to the Registrar.

If you have additional questions, consult with your department coordinator and/or Division Chair.

Copying/Word-Processing Needs

How do I have photocopies made?

Faculty who wish to copy their own material must schedule time with the faculty secretary to get instructions on using the copy machine. The machines are excellent, but jam if not used properly. Be sure to inform the secretary if a machine continues to malfunction. Each person needs to leave the machine ready for others.

If you want copying done for you, leave the material in the copy folder with the secretary in your building, with your name, number of copies to be made, and explanation if you want pages stapled, collated, etc., and the date and time you need it completed. Ask the appropriate secretary where finished work will be stored. Allow 24 hours for the work to be completed.

AIf you need typing/word-processing services, or test bank materials, have the request to the secretary no later than 4 working days before you need the completed work.

Copiers available for faculty use are located in the following buildings:  5, 9, 11, 15, 16, 18, 19, and 29 (both floors).


Will e-mail be available?

Yes. Faculty office computers are equipped with Microsoft Outlook and have access to the Internet. An account request form must be submitted to IT Services by your supervisor in order to set up your accounts properly. All faculty and staff are set up with Highline accounts. You will receive your logon information from IT Services. If you need assistance with logging in, please contact ITS Helpdesk at x4357, option 2 or email

Faculty Evaluations - Class Visitations/Student Evaluations

What kinds of evaluations of my teaching can I expect?

You can expect faculty evaluations to occur from your first class throughout your teaching career. Part time, one-year appointments, and tenure-track faculty should plan on quarterly student evaluations. Tenured faculty participate in their own evaluation process every three years as outlined in the HCEA Agreement.

Do tenure-track instructors have special procedures and requirements?

Yes. The HCEA Agreement (negotiated faculty contract) spells out the tenure process in section 400. In general, each new faculty member will have his or her own tenure working committee. This committee will develop a plan for evaluations and class visits and will report regularly to the Tenure Review Committee. In addition, the Vice President for Academic Affairs, one of the Deans of Instruction, your division chair, and department coordinator may also contact you about observing one or more of your classes. Class evaluations will be taken near the quarter’s end. You should discuss these procedures with your tenure working committee or your department coordinator ahead of time so that both of you and the college will find these efforts rewarding.

Field Trips

What procedures must I follow to take a class on a field trip?

All authorized absences from class must be approved prior to the activity. A field trip requires your filling out the field trip form at least 10 days in advance including the signatures of your Department Coordinator, Division chair, and the Vice President for Academic Affairs. Having a completed form will authorize your field trip as an official college activity while you are off campus.

Finals Week

I’m working on my syllabus. Where can I find the exam schedule?

The final examination schedule is available in the online quarterly schedule. Please give your examinations at the time and on the day that they are scheduled, and avoid giving final examinations prior to examination week. Exceptions may be made through your department coordinator and division chair.

Do I have to give a final examination?

Because finals week is considered part of the quarterly schedule, you should plan to provide an educational experience during your scheduled time, even if a final examination is not appropriate to your course.


Students have a right to know their grades. Can’t I post them or leave their papers in a box for them to pick up at the end of the quarter?

Do not post grades openly by name or student identification number. Students must not look at your roster, or see other students’ grades. This violates a student’s right to privacy. There are too many faculty members for the secretary to hand out student papers and exams. Thus, you need to announce to your students a way that they can obtain papers and finals that you do not intend to hand back during class: for example, they might bring a self-addressed, stamped envelope large enough to hold all papers they expect to get back.

How do I turn in grades?

All grades must be turned in to the registration office by 12:00 noon the Tuesday following Finals Week. The system is decimal grading. Grades can be submitted by entering them through Instructor's Briefcase. This is not a division chair, department coordinator, or building secretary responsibility.

How do I turn in grades using web grading?

Web rosters are available online. The address for web grading is:, and it includes instructions. You will need a personal identification number (PIN) to use web grading. If you do not have a PIN or have forgotten your PIN, contact or Human Resources staff for assistance.

Honors Option:

If students completed Honors projects in your classes, please log in to the Honors contract and submit your evaluations of the projects. Please email with any questions about Honors projects or contracts.

What if a student complains about his or her grade?

Both you and your students have rights and responsibilities here. To protect you, we strongly suggest that you spell out in your written syllabus exactly how your grading philosophy will work in practical terms: What percentage, if any, you will take off for tardiness, absence from class, late papers or late tests, and reward for extra credit, class participation, helping other students, etc.

Historical precedent, academic freedom and case law may give faculty the right to determine the course content, the pace, the tests, and the classroom rules within reason and consistent with the college catalog and Course Adoption Form (CAF). But case law indicates that make-ups, under certain conditions, must be allowed, and special needs students may be accommodated. If you have questions, ask your coordinator or your division chair. Student documents and records are confidential; please check with Vice President for Student Services before giving to any third party information on any of your students.

What steps should the student with a complaint pursue?

Students at Highline have the responsibility to go first to you with classroom issues, then to the department coordinator, and to the division chair, and then to the Vice President for Academic Affairs. But many of our students instead start with the Vice President for Academic Affairs, the President, or occasionally even a Board Member or legislator. The unhappy students often do not follow procedure. Therefore, please be alert to disgruntled students. Listen to them. Point out the rules in your syllabus. Know where to send them for testing and tutoring. You are not expected to compromise the student learning outcomes. You are expected to be courteous at all times to students regardless of their behavior, and to make clear to them what they need to do to succeed. If you feel a meeting with a student(s) is becoming too confrontational, try to end the meeting before tempers flair. Then consult with your department coordinator and/or division chair on how to proceed.

Part of your job is to get students to take responsibility for their learning, to connect them to campus resources (such as the Tutoring Center, Access Services, or developmental courses in reading, math, or writing), and to aid them in assuming responsibility for their own successes.

See the Students Rights and Responsibilities web page.

If students withdraw from class, will they receive a failing grade?

At Highline Community College students may officially drop a class without penalty up to the end of the 15th instructional day of the quarter. After this date, students may drop a class, but will receive a W grade on their transcript. After the 9th week students cannot officially withdraw from a class and will receive a 0.0 grade, unless they have made arrangements to take an I (incomplete) grade with their instructor.

Can I give a student an incomplete so that he will not have a failing grade on his transcripts?

Generally, incompletes are the instructor’s decision. An instructor may issue an I (incomplete) grade when a student is unable to complete a quarter because of illness and/or emergency. The student must have completed at least 80% of the total coursework, and have filled out an Incomplete Contract Form, indicating the date of completion, to occur within the following 12 months. Once the course work is completed, the I grade will be converted to numerical or CR/NC upon instructor's completion of grade change form. If the contract is not fulfilled, the I grade is converted to the grade earned, as shown on the Incomplete Contract Form. For further information, see your College Catalog.

What grading system do I use?

Highline uses a numerical grading system to measure and evaluate student performance.  Instructors are responsible for measuring and evaluating the performance of their students and must provide a course syllabus that clearly defines the grading requirements for each course. Instructors may report numerical grade points within a range of 0.7 to 4.0, in 0.1 increments.  The grade of 0.0 does not satisfy minimum academic standards for earning credit. Also, see the discussion under “Syllabus.”

Guidelines for Grading

  1. To have a clearly defined grading system and rules AND
  2. To communicate these to your students in writing and allow for questions if students need clarification.
  3. Students may grade other students on objective material, but the final grade must be the instructor’s.  Problems can result from students grading each other.  Do not ask students to evaluate subjective material submitted by other students.  (As the instructor, you are the only one qualified to do that.)

 Following, you will find three examples of grading systems taken from three instructors:


3 exams worth       450 points (150 points each)
A comprehensive Final worth    300 points
Homework/classwork/quizzes   250 points (approximately)
TOTAL: 1000

Grades for the course will be based upon the following percentages of the total number of points possible:

95-100% 4.0   84%   2.9   71% 1.8   55% 0.7
94% 3.9   83% 2.8   70% 1.7   48% 0.0
93% 3.8   82% 2.7   69% 1.6      
92% 3.7   81% 2.6   68% 1.5      
91% 3.6   80% 2.5   67% 1.4      
90% 3.5   79% 2.4   66% 1.3      
89% 3.4   78% 2.3   65% 1.2      
88% 3.3   77% 2.2   64,63% 1.1      
87% 3.2   76, 75% 2.2   62,61,60% 1.0      
86% 3.1   74,73% 2.0   59,58% 0.9      
85% 3.0   72% 1.9   57,56% 0.8      


Grades below 0.7 do not satisfy minimum course requirements for credit.

Cheating, plagiarism, and other forms of academic dishonesty are unacceptable at Highline Community College and may result in lowered grades and/or disciplinary action. (Note: this statement is recommended to be included on every syllabus.)


I advise you to keep all returned papers and tests and a summary grade sheet on which you record all points accumulated.  At the quarter’s conclusion I will calculate the percent of the total possible points you earned.  Then, the percentage will be converted into a decimal as indicated below and be assigned as your final course grade. 

665 4.0 95%      511  2.0 73%
658 3.9 94%   497 1.9 71%
651 3.8 93%   483 1.8 69%
644 3.7 92%   476 1.7 68%
637 3.6 91%   469 1.6 67%
630 3.5 90 %   462 1.5 66%
623 3.4 89%   455 1.4 65%
616 3.3 88%   448 1.3 64%
609 3.2 87%   441 1.2 63%
602 3.1 86%   434 1.1 62%
595 3.0 85%   427 1.0 61%
588 2.9 54%   420 0.9 60%
581 2.8 83%   413 0.8 59%
574 2.7 82%   406 0.7 58%
567 2.6 81%   210 0.0 30%
560 2.5 80%        
553 2.4 79%        
546 2.3 78%        
539 2.2 77%        
532 2.1 75%        



Grading:  Papers will be given letter grades, usually one grade for content, idea, organization (the assignment) and one grade for mechanics, punctuation, spelling, and the like, depending on the assignment and its weight for the quarter.  (The second paper and later home papers will weigh more than the first paper).  Be sure to meet deadlines.  Late papers will be graded down one grade for each class day the paper is late.

At the end of the quarter, the letter grades will be converted into decimal grades:

A   = 4.0        B-  = 2.7        D+  = 1.3
A-  = 3.7        C+ = 2.3        D    = 1.0
B+ = 3.3        C   = 2.0        D-   = 0.7
B   = 3.0        C-  = 1.7


Any home paper which receives an average grade below a 2.0 must be rewritten within three school days.  The second grading will be limited to a 2.5.  If you neglect to turn in a paper, you will have the equivalent of 4.0 deducted from your quarterly total for each letter grade value of that paper.

Final grade is calculated as follows:  Essays = 80%;  Exit Assessment = 20%

Cheating, plagiarism and other forms of academic dishonesty are unacceptable at Highline Community College and are subject to disciplinary action.

Attending class is important to your final grade:  Those who miss more than 5 class sessions during the quarter will have final grades lowered .2 for each day after the fifth.  The instructor may withdraw students who miss half or more of the first half of the quarter.

If you arrive after roll is taken it is your responsibility to be sure that the attendance sheet is corrected.  Repeated tardiness or arrival after 15 minutes of class will constitute an absence.

If you find yourself with a serious attendance problem, talk with me so that we can work out some kind of mutual agreement regarding making up missed class time before you reach 5 absences.

If you decide to withdraw from the class, be sure that you do so officially through the Registration Office.

Highline College Education Association (HCEA)

What is HCEA and how do I join?

Highline College Education Association, referred to as "HCEA". HCEA is recognized by the College as the exclusive bargaining agent pursuant to RCW 28B.52.020, as now adopted or hereafter amended, for all full-time and part-time faculty members employed or to be employed by the College.  James Peyton is the current president and membership forms are available from him at extension 4885, Bldg. 11-106, or at

As provided in 812.3 of the negotiated agreement, the College shall deduct the full amount of HCEA unified dues from the academic year salary of every tenured or tenure-track faculty member, as authorized by RCW 28B.52.045(2). Normally such deductions will be prorated over 18 bimonthly salary payments, from October 10 to June 25.  However, union membership, including voting privileges on contract issues, requires faculty to join the HCEA  by filling out a membership form.

Identification Card

Where do I get my employee identification card?

You must first visit the Human Resources office (99-200) to obtain an authorization form. Go to the Registration Office in Building 6. The ID card requires a photo, which will be taken at Registration.  Your Highline ID card will be required to check out items from the Library as well as identifies you as a Highline employee.

Low enrollment/Class cancellations

Will my class be canceled? The enrollment is under 20.

At Highline classes must have 15 students to run. Department coordinators plan course offerings with program goals, enrollment minimums and student needs in mind. Sometimes classes must be canceled because of low enrollment. While some exceptions exist, they are usually authorized on a case-by-case basis with your department coordinator, division chair, and the Vice President for Academic Affairs.

What happens to me if my class is canceled?

Coordinators generally reassign part time classes to full time faculty whose classes have been canceled.


Where will I receive my campus mail?

You will have a mailbox in your faculty building. Your campus mail will be delivered there. Students who want to turn in assignments outside of class should place them in an envelope with your name clearly printed on the outside along with your mail stop. If the office is open, the secretary will have a box for incoming mail. The office staff will distribute mail once per day to the boxes. Student access to mailbox rooms varies by faculty building; please check with your division chair. Outgoing mail is picked up from office buildings usually before 3:00 p.m.

Office Space

Faculty who need office/room keys must request them from their coordinator, who will in turn send a request to the division chair. When the paperwork is completed you will be notified to sign for and collect your key(s) from the Campus Security Office in Building 6. Any lost keys should be reported to Security & Safety as soon as you miss them.

Will I have a private office?

Part time faculty share desks with other part time faculty, and may share office spaces with some full time faculty. There will be a phone in the room, and messages can be left either on voice mail or with the building secretary. Every attempt will be made so that each faculty will have their own voice mail extension. Long distance access for professional purposes is available; ask your division chair.

What kinds of computer equipment are available?

The college will provide all full-time faculty with a computer for their office. Every effort is made to provide part-time faculty with access to a computer. Office computers are equipped with a standard set of software applications which include: Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access), MS Outlook, an internet browser, and Reflections to access Student Management Systems. Faculty who use specialized computer programs in their teaching may request additional programs on their computers. Contact the Administrative Technology Helpdesk at ext. 4357 (HELP), option 2 if you have questions or problems regarding your office computer.

Contact the Highline Technology Passport Team at if you would like to schedule training on the standard applications. Contact Instructional Design at if you would like training or assistance with designing and using technology for delivery of instruction.

Where do I find office supplies?

Your building secretary can provide you with most office supplies. There will be file cabinets available so that each full time faculty member has one. There should be some shelf space for each office occupant as well.

Is it necessary to lock my office?

Locking your office is strongly encouraged. In addition, while faculty buildings have established “open” hours, please do not compromise building security for yourself or others by unlocking or propping open doors after the building is locked. The college is self-insured and does not cover personal belongings.


Where do I get my campus parking permit?

All faculty must obtain a parking permit from the Campus Safety office. You will be charged a nominal fee for the permit, which will be automatically deducted from your paycheck. Part time faculty obtain their parking permits from the Human Resources office.

If you don't drive to campus, contact the Campus Safety office.

What do I do if I get a ticket?

 If you receive a parking citation, the Campus Safety website has information on fees and appeals.

Professional Development/Travel

Are there opportunities for professional development?

The college sponsors many opportunities for professional development.  Workshops are offered during Opening Week in September and Professional Development Day in October.  The Learning & Teaching Center also offers brown-bag discussions and workshops periodically as well.

Does the college fund travel to conferences?

The college provides approximately $1,500 bi-annually to full time faculty for the purpose of professional improvement or travel. Funds for part time faculty may be available and should be requested through your division chair.

What forms must I complete to get approval for using travel funds?

Once you have been approved to travel, fill out a Prior Approval for Travel form (see Travel webpage for current form) and complete a Class Coverage form if you will miss classes. These forms are signed by your Department Coordinator, Division chair, and the Vice President for Academic Affairs. If you are traveling out of state or out of the country, the college President’s signature is also required. Restrictions in travel have sometimes been in place during the past years due to state-wide budget concerns. When you complete your travel, a Travel Voucher form (see Travel webpage for current form)  will be required to claim repayment for authorized expenses. Your building secretary can help you fill out this form. This form also requires signatures from your Department Coordinator, Division Chair, and the Vice President for Academic Affairs.

Registration & Enrollment

What is the significance of the tenth day?

The official attendance for the quarter is reported to the State of Washington as of the tenth day. Thus, it is important that any students who are attending your class be officially registered by that day to be counted as part of the FTE-S (Full time Equivalent Students) credited to the college by the state. College funding is dependent upon our reaching our FTE goals.

The first week of class students are clamoring to get into my class, but the roster shows that there are no spaces even though I have fewer than the class maximum attending. Should I sign these students in?

Individual faculty assume the responsibility of signing overloads. Students may register for classes without your signature only for the first three days of the quarter, if the Registrar’s count shows your class is not full. After the third day students will need your signature to enroll, even if there is space. At that time you may sign-in additional students. Signing students into your class during the first three days may overload your class. You may occasionally be asked to overload a student by your division chair or department coordinator because of some unique circumstance beyond the student’s or your administrator’s control.

I’m willing to overload my class. How do I do this?

Check with your department; some have a “no overload” policy. Also keep in mind that the bookstore may not have extra textbooks for additional students. If you do decide to overload the class, simply sign your name in the Overload Instructor Signature column, next to your class information, on the student's Class Add/Drop Request form.

What do I tell college employees, senior citizens and state workers who cannot register until the third week?

Occasionally you may find students who are eligible for reduced tuition and as a result must wait until after the tenth day to register. Tell them that they can register only if there is space after the tenth day; however, you should require them to attend class for the first two weeks so that they can participate fully in the class when they do enroll. You may sign them in if your roster shows you have fewer than your maximum class size or if you wish to overload them. They have full rights as students and may take classes for transfer credit; however, they do not count toward your FTE’s and as a result, must register after the tenth day.

Student Attendance

Does the college require that I take attendance every day?

Faculty views and practices on requiring student attendance varies, but please be aware that keeping attendance records may be necessary for the benefit of students who are supported by various financial aid and Veteran’s programs. At various times during the quarter, these students may need your signature to verify their attendance in class. In addition, if a financial aid student drops your class fall quarter, the Financial Aid Office may ask you during winter quarter to provide the last date of that student’s attendance. State funding does not depend on your attendance sheets. See Student Rights and Responsibilities.

Student Discipline

What support does the college provide if students are causing problems in class?

You are responsible for maintaining class control. Sometimes, however, you may have a difficult student or clique of students, who make class sessions difficult to control. The source of this situation varies from having scholastically underprepared students, culturally diverse students, socially immature students, poorly advised students, or something else entirely, such as psychological dysfunction. If you are unable to resolve the problem, speak immediately to your coordinator about the situation. We work as a unit here at Highline to protect both you and your students from harm to the learning environment. See also Student Rights & Responsibilities.

What do I do if a student gets violent or angry?

If a student threatens you or other students in your class, you need to notify the Campus Safety office in Building 6, extension 3218 (emergency extension 3911), or, after hours, (206) 878-3712. Our Campus Safety acts quickly and effectively to protect the college’s students and employees. You are not expected to endure threats, abuse, or harassment from students, faculty, staff, administrators, or others who may not be associated with the college. See Student Rights and Responsibilities.

Supplies/Equipment Purchases

I need supplies for my laboratory. How do I order my supplies?

To order supplies, fill out a Materials & Service Request (MSR) (see Purchasing website for current form) to be signed (authorized) by your Department Coordinator and/or Division Chair. Your Division Chair will forward your MSR to the Purchasing department. The Purchasing Dept. will place the order using a signed purchase order to the vendor. 

The purchasing process may take some time; it is important to plan ahead.  Supplies and/or equipment will be purchased if deemed necessary by the Division Chair pending budgetary approval.

If you need supplies urgently and the cost is under $100.00, you may make a purchase and receive reimbursement. For this you will need prior authorization from your Division Chair. Fill out a Request for Payment Form (RFP) (see Purchasing website for current form) and attach the original receipt. Submit both to your Division Chair for approval. Your Division Chair will forward the approved RFP to the Purchasing Dept.

To purchase equipment, fill out an MSR and follow the procedures above. Additionally, you must receive authorization from the Vice President for Academic Affairs.

General office supplies may be ordered through your Faculty Secretary.

If you have any purchasing questions or would like to receive purchasing training, please contact Dianna Thiele.

The MSR and RFP are located on the Purchasing Department website.


The college has certain required and recommended elements for the syllabus. Required elements must be included in the official course syllabus that you distribute to students. Recommended elements do not have to be a part of the core syllabus, but should be shared with students near the beginning of the quarter. The HC Policies and Procedures and HC Resources for Students documents are included in your Canvas course shells each quarter.

In addition, the following documents are available to help develop your syllabus:

If you have questions or concerns, please speak with your department coordinator and/or division chair.

Must I have a syllabus for every class I teach?

A syllabus is required for each class that you teach. The syllabus is an extension of the contract between the student and the school. Your syllabus should be consistent with the Course Adoption Form (CAF) that your department has filed with the campus Office of Instruction. Each course has a set of outcomes as well as a course outline identified on the CAF. If a problem arises because the two documents do not agree, the least restrictive of the two documents may apply to the student. Regardless, the College can better support the instructor in a grade complaint if the faculty member has a syllabus and follows it.

Does the college keep a copy of my syllabus?

Your faculty secretary and/or division chair will ask you to provide a syllabus for each class you teach. These will be kept in the division files. A copy is also kept electronically in the Vice President for Academic Affairs office for accreditation purposes.

Can I make changes in the syllabus after the quarter starts?

During the first week of class, preferably the first day, every student should be given a copy of your course syllabus. After the syllabus is handed out, changes can be made in assignments, test dates and due dates as long as the changes are reasonable and there is proper notification. It is best to include a statement in the syllabus that test dates, assignments and lectures are subject to change. It is not a good idea to add reading material during the last two weeks of the quarter.

 If you do make a change, the safest procedure is to provide students with a written copy of the change. Be sure to keep a signed and dated copy.

A substitute teacher is bound to the original syllabus. A change could be made right at the start, but a different book cannot be required.

During the quarter do not change the grading scale, grading policy, attendance policy, make-up policy and participation policy (especially if a change will negatively impact students’ grades).

Telephone Usage/Long Distance

How can I get instruction on the telephone system?

The telephone system allows you to provide a personal greeting, leave messages for groups of faculty and staff, and to store messages for a limited amount of time.  For assistance with phones or voicemail, please contact IT Services at, or open a ticket at 

How can I make a long distance call?

The state provides a cost effective long distance system, called SCAN, which requires using an access number. These numbers can be obtained through your departmental secretary.

Tenure Process

Where can I find the requirements for being granted tenure?

Your faculty contract, the HCEA Agreement , details the requirement for tenure. You will find this information in section 400.  More information is also available on the Tenure Review Committee's website.


I don’t have a copy of the textbooks for my class. How do I get a desk copy?

If you do not have a copy of the text you are using, or lack samples from which to choose, talk with your coordinator and/or building secretary. Publishers customarily furnish samples, manuals, and test banks for the text you adopt. Your coordinator can furnish the publisher’s hot line for fast delivery to you of a text.

I want to change textbooks next quarter. What should I do?

Some departments have adopted a particular text and any changes must be made through the department. Other departments allow individual instructors to make their own choices. Check with your department coordinator. The student texts must be ordered on a form obtained from the building secretary well in advance of the quarter to ensure time for delivery and shelving in the bookstore.